Monday, February 15, 2010

Food Inc. PT 1

After watching the film, Food Inc. a lot of things stuck in my head. I was very surprised to learn all this new information about the food industries and what they are actually doing. One particular part that was quite interesting was when they went to the chicken farms. I couldn’t believe how horrible they treated those poor chickens. I couldn’t even imagine. I also thought it was quite weird that the one guy couldn’t even show the inside of his chicken hen because of the company he worked for. Knowing that they do not want you to know what’s going on, kinda makes me not want to know. I felt horrible for ever eating mass produced chicken because those poor chickens have no room to move, they basically shit on themselves, and the area is very unsanitary. Learning this information through this film was quite heartbreaking. The music during this part was sad and they showed small clips of the men who take the chickens away after they are fully grown. Watching this made me quite angry because they treated the poor things so bad. I think if more people knew that this was occurring then they would try to stop this cruel treatment of chickens. They might decide to go free range or organic, like I am actually persuaded to now do.

Looking at the book compared to the movie, I felt a lot more can be accomplished by the movie. People will be more persuaded when they see these clips of what is really going on, mixed with certain music and graphics. Even though I believe this, I still feel the book offers great information and a more behind the scene look at the Food industries. One of my favorite parts was the Q&A segment. I liked this because most of the questions were interesting and the answers were well-written. Knowing these answers really allowed me to better understand what was going on in the food industry and what we could possibly do to stop this cycle.

7 comments:

  1. I agree with you that the movie would have a better chance of persuading the audience. I think that actually seeing the cruelty towards animals occurring has a greater impact on emotions than just reading about it in text. I also found the Q&A chapter very interesting and easy to follow along with made me want to help to make a change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that by having the images of how he chickens and other animals are treated makes the movie more persuasive than the book. I found myself closing my eyes and looking away at some of the images portrayed in the movie. In this aspect reading and seeing are completely different and have unique qualities that persuade the reader/viewer in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chicken part in the movie was indeed very sad. I felt a little different about the guy who denied access to his chicken hen because of the company he worked for. it did not make me not want to know but made me even more curious on what they were actually doing to the chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the movie is more persuasive. When you see the film it brings the book alive. The movie does a better job of dragging your emotions into topic. Yes the book does offer background information which allows for further understanding of the subject. I also agree that the Q&A section goes a bit more in-depth about this horrible cycle of mistreatment and greed and provided the reader with knowledge on how to make a change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The connection between the book and the movie is great. You said that the movie could be more persuasive and I have no objections to that. The book provides more in depth analysis and information but lacks the visual and emotional experience that the movie brought. I thought the book and movie go hand in hand and they really work well together to get the point across.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've noticed that everyone seems to be particularly moved by the chicken farms, and I have to agree that the chicken farming business is quite atrocious. And I can definitely agree with your point that seeing the mistreatment of the chickens is much more powerful than just reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that the chicken part was gross, but that's simply the most efficient way of mass producing them. The chickens still have to be slaughtered and gutted regardless, like shown when the farmer against the GM chickens was doing. We eat chickens. In order to eat them, they must be killed. The method of killing them makes no difference, however, the sanitation needs regulation. The problem also lies in our government that is allowing these big companies like Tyson to constantly tax their farmers and make them switch methods of breeding, which costs the farmer money, which then cuts their profits. Its a shame how much the farmers are taken advantage of.

    ReplyDelete